Friday, February 18, 2011

Fashion-Beauty Friend Friday: Body Image

Oh dear. Another Friday, another set of questions. On body image. Eep. This to me is a topic that can be talked about in many ways. Some days I have a wonderful body image, I'm a goddess. Other days I'm fat and lazy and slobby. It all changes depending on the slightest thing.

Anyways here are the questions. I've been less slack this week, my camera practically cried when I took it out and started using it. (okay, I know it can't cry but it seemed happy. Or maybe that was just me.) I'm going to make a commitment to take time to be creative and do the things that make me happy. Like shopping. I shopped on Wednesday, and it was wonderful. More on that later, if I ever decide to post OOTD photos.

1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed?
I've only been blogging since the beginning of February, so I'm gonna have to say no on that one. But I think it has changed since I've started reading blogs. I love discovering how other people approach their issues with their bodies, or disguise the things they don't like. Sally at Already Pretty has some great articles on body image, and being kind to yourself. I really do enjoy reading things that really make me think, about myself and about the perceptions of beauty.

2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway?
I used to be incredibly self-conscious of my pale skin. Then I realized all the idiots (no offense) who use tanning beds are just going to give themselves skin cancer, while I (being the smart one) will have no wrinkles or age spots and will not have aged by the time I reach 40.

That said, I'm still insecure about my body as a whole. I do like most parts of it, most days, but I've gained a few extra pounds in the last year and I'm not happy about it. I want to get rid of it, but when I try to exercise I get so frustrated that I just give up. I feel like I'm not good enough sometimes. On good days, I used to think of myself as a leggy blonde with a tiny waist. I've come to realize though my legs are long, they have more fat than I want and my waist isn't as tiny as I thought. I'm coming to terms with the real me as opposed to what I want myself to be. It's not easy but it's a process and I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future holds in the evolution of your body image?
I want to say that I'm going to stop being stupid, learn to appreciate all the goods things about my body and just deal with the bad. I think it can and will happen, but I'm always going to have days where I don't feel my best. It's hard being a girl sometimes. I want and need to start exercising, but so I can become healthier. I think that's going to help me love my body more, even if the number on the scale stays the same.

4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel about the experience when you're having your picture taken? If you choose not to post pictures of yourself, what prompted that decision?
I don't at the moment. I started this thinking I might start doing the OOTD photos or participate in some of the many awesome projects that the fashion blogging community has, but I can't decide if I want to. My biggest issue with posting strangely enough isn't related to my body issues. Sure, I think I look stupid in most pictures but I think I'd get over that with some practice. My biggest hold-up is where I live. I'm on an island. It's big but small in population. If I show my face, I don't know what I'd feel like to have someone say that they've seen my blog. I tend to ramble sometimes and what I say doesn't always seem to be something I want everyone to know. It feels so personal to me to have one, and I like anonymity for now. I may post outfits eventually, but for now it'll probably just be my clothes. They're so pretty, they deserve to be seen.

5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to take to heart? You will have good days and bad days with your body. Not all days can be good. The most important thing I think is to be able to accept what cannot change, work on what can if you think you should, and appreciate what your body can do.

Yay for another Friday! For anyone else participating in FBFF, what do you think? What would be a piece of advice that you'd give on accepting your body? Post your link, I'd love to hear other perspectives on this topic.

Til next time!

No comments: