Friday, March 25, 2011

Fashion-Beauty Friend Friday: Feminism

I've never considered myself much of a feminist. I think that there should be equality for both sexes. In my life I don't deal with many conflicts because I am a woman. I'm lucky in that way I guess, to have a relatively conflict free life in general. I took a Womens Studies class a couple of years ago, and I have to say it did not inform me in the least. I still believe in equality but the more radical discussions turned me off from something I could have enjoyed, I think.


this has nothing to do with the topic.
but we're getting snow tomorrow, and this is Daytona beach where it's warm.
and I really really want to go back!!!

That being said, here's this weeks questions!

1. Do you think there is an incompatibility between feminism and a love for fashion?
Not at all. Dressing up or down, depending on the clothes you wear, should always be for yourself. Feminism shouldn't be about your image as much as it reflects your beliefs or the attitudes you have about the world.

2. There is more to each of us than a love for fashion, how do you incorporate every aspect of yourself into your blog?

I try to get little bits of myself into my posts. I give my opinions on things, I sometimes post outfits I wear or things I've seen that I love, I post my photography weekly. It takes time to build yourself into your blog, because a blog takes work and commitment. Expressing yourself isn't as easy as just putting every opinion or thought you've ever had into one post saying, "Oh, here I am!"

3. With the fashion industry still being a male-dominated profession, how do you think it would differ if women played a larger role?
I'd like to think there'd be a change in the overall styles. A lot of women dress to impress or attract men, because they think that's how the should be seen. If women had more say, things would probably be more geared towards functionality while still looking fabulous! As well, I would hope that models could be more like real women, instead of super skinny ideals that aren't realistic.

4. How is your self-image and the way you carry yourself informed by your beliefs?
I've basically always been a modest person. I'm not religious but I think I ended up taking a lot of values that stemmed from my parents and their religion. I may wear tight clothes sometimes but it's never revealing skin. My parents influenced a lot of my beliefs. My self-image is good most days. I had a lot of time alone growing up, as I was an only child, so I was forced to be comfortable by myself first. It's still a process to love all parts of me but being able to perform in Drama Troupe productions gave me a lot of confidence I needed to stand up for myself in a lot of situations.

5. Do you think clothing/makeup/hair helps communicate the truth about yourself or are those things superfluous add-ons? They can definitely be superfluous for some people, but the way you look can always say something about who you are. It shouldn't account for everything about you, but having a sense of style can show what kind of person you think you are, or who you want to be.
Looking forward to reading everyone's responses, as always!

Til next time!

No comments: